How to Apply
*AIR 3331 OPEN CALL will begin accepting applications from July 2, 2018 for all residencies between April 1, 2019 – March 27, 2020.
Application deadline: September 28, 2018
3331 welcomes individual and group applications from all fields of creators and researchers. There are no restrictions on the method of expression, but we do ask the following at the time of application:
- AIR 3331 is a self-funded residency. Applicants (individuals or organizations) must cover the costs of facilities, travel and living expenses, as well as production costs. 3331 cannot provide grants or scholarships.
- Japanese is not a requirement. However, a conversational level of English will help.
- We seek participants with clear project goals, including a schedule for the completion of the proposal, keeping in mind the larger context of 3331 and the community (Tokyo's Chiyoda City in particular). Participants should take full responsibility for the overall planning and results of their project.
- Participants must abide by Japanese national law when engaging in activities.
When to Apply
|September 28, 2018
||Early October, 2018
||Late October, 2018
||November 22, 2018**
||1 month before residency
||Arrive in Tokyo!
||Notification of acceptance
||Confirm project and placement
||Agreement forms submitted
||Program fees due
||Pre-arrival info/Q&A with AIR 3331 coordinators via Skype
- To those applying less than two months before their desired start date:
** Applicants are requested to pay the full program fee within 10 days of receiving confirmation of acceptance into the program.
- See notes on method of payment and cancellation below.
How to Apply (Application)
Application Download Available on July 2nd
Please fill out all required fields on the application form and e-mail back to [residence(at)3331(dot)jp] together with the following:
(1) Recent CV
(2) Portfolio (at least 5 images, video, audio, essay or web links as relevant)
(3) Supporting materials to describe your residency project, as applicable (ex: sample schedules, images/videos, web links, etc.)
- The maximum total file size for the above data is 2MB.
- When emailing, please change (at) to (@) and (dot) to (.)
Method of Payment & Cancellation
The participation fee for this program is in principle to be paid in one installment within 30 days of being sent an agreement. (Participants will be notified of their payment dates via email.)
A cancellation fee will apply after payment for participation is complete as follows:
90 days or more before the first day of residency: 50%
Within 89 days of the first day of residency: 100% (no return)
- If the applicant is able to provide evidence of funds from supporting institutions that can cover the full cost of the participation fee, it is possible to adjust the payment schedule. In this case, participants are requested to pay a non-refundable reservation fee to confirm their residency (within 30 days of being sent an agreement) and the remaining amount to 3331 Arts Chiyoda at least 30 days before the start date of their residence.
- To those applying less than two months before their desired start date: Applicants are requested to pay the full program fee within 10 days of receiving confirmation of acceptance into the program.